Five years ago, Emmanuel Reyes took two pills which were in two bottles on his night stand, to relieve an intense pain that was bothering him. Shortly after, he began vomiting, stopped breathing and lost consciousness. The next thing Reyes knew, he was in the emergency room, being attended to by a group of doctors.
Those pills almost cost the 30-year old his life. Due to his condition of sickle cell anemia, an illness which causes chronic pain and fatigue, Reyes takes opioid medications such as methadone and morphine. The Dominican native says that he accidentally mixed two opioid medications in what was nearly a fatal overdose..